Sunday, July 26, 2009

You didn't tell me

You told me about the long shifts, days and nights.

You told me about the commanders and their lovely wives.

You told me about the chain of commmand, and how i would live by it.

But you didn't tell me how proud of you i would be.

You told me about the temporary duty and many moves.

You told me about overseas tours.

You told me about payday, and how we would stretch the dollar.

You didn't tell me about the honor i would feel.

You told me about the wives' club and family support.

You told me about tricare.

You told me about base housing, and how no two are alike.

You didn't tell me that at the start of "God bless the USA" I would shed not one, but many tears.

You told me about how Christmas would be in Germany.

You told me about the commissary and PX.

You told me we would need many sets of curtains.

You didn't tell me how our children would look up to you, and want to be like Dad.

You told me about the hard times and how we would have many.

You told me about the stress of being a military spouse.

You told me sometimes i would be a single parent, and that in spirit you would be with me.

But you didn't tell me that when i saw your uniform in the laundry, i would swell with respect.

You didn't tell me how much of a part the military would play in our lives and how i would never want it any other way!

-Excerpt from Military Wives Soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment